by Bob Comet
Emma C. Berry is a fishing smack built in 1866 in Noank, CT at the R & J Palmer shipyard by James A. Latham. A smack is a vessel equipped with a well for live storage of the catch, water flowing through holes in the hull planking.
Emma C. Berry was an active fisherman until 1924, when she was left on the flats at Beals Island. She was bought in 1926 and used as a coastal freighter for an unknown period. In 1931 she was found and restored by F. Slade Dale, who later donated her to Mystic Seaport. The Emma C. Berry was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1995.
- For another model like this one, see Emma C. Berry modelled by HRSMS member Ulrich Guenther.
- Emma C. Berry at Mystic Seaport